EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, HOMELESS SERVICES UNITED
Homeless Services United (HSU), a leader in the fight against homelessness is the premier organization in New York City that advocates for people experiencing homelessness, people at risk for homelessness and the non-profit community of organizations that serve them. HSU is prominent in the public eye, submits written testimony and testifies at relevant hearings in NYC city council and NYS state legislature, is often quoted in major print publications and participates in roundtable discussions on homelessness in local television media outlets.
Title: EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Type: Regular Full-Time (35 hours/week)
The Executive Director is the chief executive officer of HSU on Homeless Policies and Services and is accountable for all programmatic, operational, and fiscal functions. The ED provides strategic leadership and manages day-to-day operations. He/she reports directly to the President of the Board of Directors and works closely with the full Board to develop and administer HSU’s major programmatic functions, including advocacy services, training services, member relations, public relations, and research projects. The Executive Director is also responsible for writing and administering all grants, and for working with the Board to organize an annual fundraising event. In addition, he/she prepares and manages the annual budget, serves as the media spokesperson and principal lobbyist for the organization, and supervises all staff.
– Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s preferred
– Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in policy advocacy and community organizing
– Minimum 5-7 years’ experience in program management and supervision
– Strong leadership, management, and strategic planning skills
– Strong meeting planning and facilitation skills
– Experience in budget development and management (moved from additional to minimum)
– Excellent computer skills
– Excellent written and oral communication skills
– Strong diplomacy and negotiation skills
Additional Desired Qualifications:
– Extensive knowledge of New York City’s homeless service delivery system
– Extensive relationships within the New York City non-profit and government sectors
– Experience with membership organizations
– Demonstrated ability to raise funds
– Experience in event planning
– Experience in Board relations and development
Detailed Job Description:
Strategic Leadership and Planning
– Provide strategic leadership to ensure that all programs advance HSU’s mission.
– Work with the Board and membership to develop, implement, and update strategic plans as needed to ensure a well-coordinated approach to program development, fundraising, administration, and organizational growth.
Administration, Fiscal Management, and Governance
– Hire and supervise staff, evaluate staff performance, and provide staff with opportunities for skill development and professional growth.
– Hire and manage consultants as needed.
– Manage support staff and external consultants including third party accounting firm, government affairs firm and others as needed.
– Develop and manage annual budgets.
– Prepare or cause to be prepared all financial reports, including monthly and end of the year reports.
– File or cause to be filed all taxes.
– Administer or cause to be administered payroll, health insurance, 403b and other employee benefits plans
– Approve all expenses and monitor spending to ensure value and budget adherence.
– Oversee database development and administration.
– Manage dues collection and maintain accurate dues records.
– Work with Board President to plan bi-monthly Board meetings.
– Work with Board President to plan Executive Committee meetings as needed.
– Prepare meeting materials and disseminate to Board in advance of meetings
– Ensure timely and accurate completion of meeting minutes.
– Work with Executive and Membership Committees to fill Board vacancies, orient new Board members, and develop succession plans for leadership positions.
– Work with committee chairs to coordinate all committee meetings and activities.
– Ensure maintenance of comprehensive and up-to-date files.
– Ensure adherence to all legal requirements and timely submission of all reports.
– Ensure maintenance of a strong communications and information technology infrastructure and coordinate infrastructure improvements as needed to support agency programmatic and administrative needs.
– Work with the Board of Directors, members, staff and partner organizations to establish the agency’s policy advocacy agenda at the city, state, and federal levels.
– Develop and maintain working relationships with elected and appointed officials and staff, as well as with government affairs representatives at the Partnership’s member companies.
– Work to build coalitions on behalf of HSU’s advocacy agenda. Identify access points in government on key issues and help develop arguments to advocate on behalf of these issues.
– Lead the development and implementation of advocacy strategy.
– Serve as the principal lobbyist and coordinate all member lobbying activities. Monitor legislation and prepare briefing materials, testimony and legislative memos.
– Serve as the principal negotiator and coordinate member involvement in negotiation of new programmatic initiatives for the sector.
– Develop and disseminate materials to educate elected officials and the general public on advocacy priorities.
– Develop and maintain effective relationships with key executive and legislative branch staff.
– Develop and maintain effective relationships with key staff at partner organizations.
– Serve on the Board of Directors of the Human Services Council, or serve in some agreed upon capacity.
– Represent HSU member interests on external committees and taskforces including but not limited to the NYC Continuum of Care, The Coordinated Assessment Placement System (CAPS) Steering Committee, The Family Homelessness Coalition Steering Committee, the Cash Assistance Reform Network, The Homes Can’t Wait Coalition and others
Member Services and Relations
– Oversee the assessment of member needs, the implementation of existing member services and the development of new member services.
– Develop and implement strategies to keep existing members engaged and enthused.
– Prepare annual report to members.
– Coordinate quarterly membership meetings.
– Develop and implement member communications strategies including e-blasts, newsletters, website updates and social media
– Plan special events to meet identified needs.
– Maintain complete and accurate information about member agency contacts and programs.
– Manage distribution of information and resources to members.
– Work with, members, and staff to identify member training needs, plan and implement a training program.
– Work with the board and membership to plan research projects, engage members in data collection & produce original reports.
– Manage provision of technical assistance to members as needed.
– Work with Board to update membership dues structure as needed.
– Work with the Board to establish annual new member recruitment goals.
– Plan and implement new member recruitment strategies.
– Develop, implement, and update strategic fundraising plan as needed
– Research grant opportunities and write grants and reports.
– Maintain up-to-date records of grant submissions and results.
– Serve as the principal liaison to foundation contacts.
– Maintain up-to-date records of potential donors.
– Conduct an annual appeal.
– Work with Fundraising Committee to plan and implement annual event.
– Work with Fundraising Committee to provide support and encouragement for active involvement in fundraising among all Directors.
– Work with the Professional Development Committee to develop and implement income generating trainings.
– Maintain relationships with the New York City Council in support of HSU’s “Initiative” funding and pursue discretionary grants
– Responsible for promoting the organization and cultivating a positive public image.
– Serve as the principal media spokesperson.
– Represent the agency in the community and at meetings with government officials and advocacy
– y partners.
– Manage updates and improvements to website.
– Manage social media accounts on Facebook, X/Twitter, LinkedIn and other platforms
– Manage the development of all public relations materials.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org